Sunday, November 7, 2010

Storybook Cottages of Carmel

So I got a magazine awhile back, the only time I had heard of the magazine. There was an articles of interest and I tore it out and threw away the magazine. I kind of forgot about it but remembered it in the back of my mind. Then I ran across it again and put it in a place I would remember. Marta wanted to go some place together before she started back teaching and I told her about these houses so we went to Carmel to check them out. I have the article and a map and we went to Carmel.The houses are quite unique. They were built by Hugh Comstock for his wife so she would have someplace for her dolls and are called storybook houses. He was not a builder but just used his imagination and figured it out. He built the Hansel cottage, the Gretel cottage. He built the homes between 1925 and 1930 and built 15 to 20 additional storybook cottages. They are scattered around town and a little east.
We walked to most of the ones on my map. My map only has seven. Some of them no longer remain.
This one is a tea house in downtown Carmel on Delores. You've probably all seen it but didn't know what it was. We had a great time. Wouldn't you love to come to and we could go to Carmel and see these delightful houses.

3 comments:

Jespersen said...

I want to come see them. They look so cool. Of course, I'd rather come see you than the houses!

kim23 said...

I would love to see these delightful houses! You can see another storybook cottage in Beverly Hills, California. The house is better known as "The Witch's House" or "The Spadena House". It was built in 1921 by Harry Oliver and later, in 1998, was purchased by Michael Libow, a real estate agent who grew up in Beverly Hills.

L.R. Shimer said...

I found your nice posting searching for the map for these cottages. Thank you! You made it look like a real place. My friend and I are driving over from Silicon Valley area to Carmel to see and photograph these lovely cottages next week.

I bet I read the same article you did. I can't find mine now. (How could that be in my house of bits and pieces :-)

Funny, I cannot find this map anywhere on the web. I did find references to getting one from the visitors center though.

Laurel